hal-get-property bug or usage misunderstanding?

Ralph Aichinger ralph at mail.pangea.at
Mon Jun 14 05:02:31 PDT 2004

Hello!

I hope this is the right list, if there is another one for user-type
questions, please point me to it:

I am playing with hal from Debian unstable

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)||/ Name           Version        Description
ii  hal            0.2.92-1       Hardware Abstraction Layer

and it seems to work fine (checked with plugging in an extra mouse in
hal-device-manager). But I've got no Idea how to get hal values from
the commandline or a shell script.

halt-get-property seems to do this, but it has no manpage, just a very
terse --help message. When I do

|client21% hal-get-property --udi
|'/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/pci_8086_7190' --key 'info.bus'
|hal-get-property 0.2.92
|
|Type is string

I get no information about the *contents* of 'info.bus', just its type.
Is this a bug in hal-get-property or am I just too stupid to use it?

TIA
/ralph -- I am trying to write a shell script that returns me all
          network cards. Just to try HAL out.