RFC: Free Software community-wide Hardware Database project

Zenaan Harkness zen at freedbms.net
Mon Jun 21 16:48:36 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 06:41, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Sounds cool, do you have a mailing list or something?

Currently just three people so not - I just use a 'list' in evolution.
I had four offers of hosting, and accepted the FSF's offer as being more
neutral relative to a specific vendor (neutrality being a core principal
of our project: kernel-, os-/distro- and supplier- neutral).

As such, I've just created a project on savannah, and am waiting the
approval email. I will post once I set up a mailing list. That will be
good for archiving too.

> > It looks pretty trivial to me actually. Make that 'relatively near'
> > future :)
> >

> It would be great to do this, but it might be difficult to get adopted
> by distributions; I'm sure some kernel guys have further insights
> whether this is a good idea.

Well, we'll plod along and actually produce something tangible to start
with. I did start a (small) discussion on lkml, and said I'd continue
and keep them updated. The more feedback the better at this point.

> > Longer term we will, I'm sure have various submission mechanisms. At the
> > start, to make sure the design is robust, the data is clean, and the
> > concepts and terminology we use are all clearly described and
> > documented, we shall continue with our plan to manually enter stuff. At
> > least the first few hundred devices. Or perhaps - at least the first few
> > dozens of a good few categories of devices. My desire is a long term one
> > - like matured wine or cheese I guess.
>
> Indeed, it sounds very good.
>
> I'm quite interested device categories, e.g. what the device is (info.
> category) and what it does (info.capabilities), after all this is one of
> the things that HAL care about in a way [1]; it's definitely something
> that should be in the HAL spec so we should probably work together on
> this.

I agree.

I'll send an announce when our list is up.

> Btw, I just made a proposal about that on rhythmbox-devel regarding
> iPod's and other media players here in response to Bastien announcing
> support for iPod's using HAL:
>
>  http://mail.gnome.org/archives/rhythmbox-devel/2004-June/msg00038.html

:) Cool stuff.

cheers