volume.fstype cleared after unmount

Kay Sievers kay.sievers at vrfy.org
Wed Jun 23 16:09:30 PDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-24 at 00:57 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-06-20 at 16:27 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > > >

> > > Nope, thanks for catching that; I've removed that line. Corner case:
> > > what if someone reformats the disk?
> >
> > Good point. Me may at least call detect_fs() after mount?
> >

> I'm a bit more for reverting to the old behaviour, i.e. volume.fstype is
> cleared when the device is not mounted. And we should change the update-
> fstab.sh prototype to just set auto (and patch mount(1) if it whines, I
> have a recollection that there were some issues about that on my Debian
> box). Hmm, not sure, what do you think?
>
> > If someone reformats a partition or or changes the label with a low-
> > levwel tool, seems we can do nothing :(
> >

> Then that tool better tell HAL :-), seriously, at some point point we're
> probably going to add "Rename" support to Nautilus and other file
> managers anyway (the Rename is greyed out in Nautilus today), so we can
> just do it there and 99% users would use that. So there!

Reformat and Label change are the same problem, I think. A reformatter
should also tell HAL... :)
Shouldn't we clear the label+uuid+fstype all at once or nothing. I
personally like the attributes before the mount. Don't we have still the
greyed icons for unmounted volumes, even with the gnome-vfs patch? So it
may be nice to know whats behind...

Kay