best way to determine devices with drivers

Dave Jones davej at redhat.com
Thu Jun 24 06:14:58 PDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 02:02:42PM +0100, Jono Bacon wrote:
 > Hi,
 >
 > >One area where this does get complicated is that the various
 > >enterprise distros sometimes ship multiple versions of the same
 > >module, with slightly different names.  Such deviations could
 > >(and should) be maintained in the HAL packages for those distros IMO.
 > >
 > >Just making things work with a mainline kernel should cover 99%
 > >of cases. The other 1% can probably figure it out themselves.
 >
 > I think this is the key - most kernels should be good. When Project
 > Utopia is working with a vanilla kernel, maybe it will encourage
 > distributors to get involved so they can adopt the technology.
 >
 > Out of curiosity, does anyone know what the LSB have to say about the
 > use of binary modules? Do they dictate that it should be vanilla?

I doubt theres any mention of them there. In part due to the
fact that there have been ( and probably won't ever be ) any
ABI guarantees between kernel & modules.

Even some of the enterprise vendor kernels that claim to
provide ABI guarantees end up breaking it at times.
Sometimes it's just unavoidable.

		Dave