storage_media_check_enabled in fdi

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Sep 5 09:48:41 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 16:12 +0200, Danny Milosavljevic wrote:
> Hi,
>
> in /etc/hal/hald.conf, it says for storage_media_check_enabled that this
> setting can be overridden by a fdi file.
>
> I wonder how to do that since the dtd only lists match and merge.
>
> Is it to be put into the merge section ? where?

Merge is just to mean 'set this property on this device object' (my
interpretation but English is not my native tongue); presumably you can
do something like this

 <merge key="storage.media_check_enabled" type="bool">false</merge>

in a .fdi file. Without the output of lshal it's going to be difficult
to give more advice. Btw, you can even set this with hal-set-property
while the hal daemon is running.

> Unfortunately one of my two dvd drives crashes mount(and hal)

Does the hal daemon crash or does mount crash or both? I'm curious
exactly what happens; e.g. maybe a report like this

 18:42: started hald
 18:43: put in disc to problematic drive
 18:45: issued mount(1) on /dev/sr0 to mount the disc
 18:46: hald crashed; backtrace attached here.

would rock.

> when
> storage_media_check_enabled is true, so I want to turn it off for this
> one. Of course it would be better to fix the bug instead... I'll help in
> whatever way I can :)

That would be great! There's nothing like squashing bugs :-)

A few requests then

 1. The output of lshal when the hal daemon is done with probing devices
 2. Does this happen with GNOME magicdev/KDE autorun, e.g. did
    automounting of CD's work before you installed hal?

Btw, I just made this page

 http://freedesktop.org/Software/HalTraces

with the some of the information to include. Please use a recent version
of HAL when compiling this.

Much thanks,
David