hal, usbstick and IBM R40

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sun Sep 12 11:51:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-09-10 at 14:36 +0200, Thomas Gufler wrote:
> This problem still persists despite the remove of my second hal.hotplug. The
> memory key itself is always detected, not so the partition on the stick. If I
> do 'touch /dev/sda', the partition on the stick is detected immediately by
> hal. The partition on the stick is detected every now and then (didn't
> restart hald between), however it is very annoying if the partition is not
> detected as kvm (and gvm) can't mount the stick that time.
>
> The output of 'HALD_VERBOSE=1 ./hald --daemon=no' is attached to this mail
> (hald was started, the first time the partition was detected, the second time
> not).
>
> Any ideas?

This is a bit strange, hald should be doing the equivalent of
'touch /dev/sda' every second or so. And the kernel should really be
giving us all partitions when you insert a new device.

If you can still reproduce this please send the output of lshal,
and /etc/hal/hald.conf after you have inserted the usb stick and the
partition fails to show up.

Especially this line

  <storage_media_check_enabled>true</storage_media_check_enabled>

should be present with true instead of false. Also if you can send the
output of 'strace hald --daemon=no --verbose=yes' after hald have been
running for a few seconds after device insertion that would be helpful
also.

Btw, I'm seeing that you are pulling out your usb stick without
unmounting, that's a no-no :-), because hald prints these lines

        13:50:49.426 [I] linux/block_class_device.c:369: attempting /bin/umount -l /dev/sda1
        13:50:49.516 [I] linux/block_class_device.c:397: Goint to emit VolumeUnmountForced('/dev/sda1', '/media/usbdisk', TRUE)

Maybe that has something to do with it?

Much thanks for all the testing btw.

Thanks,
David