autofs - automatic unmounting / syncing. how does HAL help?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Thu Sep 16 11:02:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 07:23:05PM +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:

> Someone is already working on the KDE Volume Manager. One explicit goal

 jerome.  been there, got the nonkdebeta/kvm source code, hacked the
 source code, updated to kdebase+kdelibs cvs latest, added in his
 horrible dbus-qt-1.so connections patch, eaten the t-shirt....

> Well, HAL is pretty much designed to cope with all this and it works
> pretty well most of the time.

 fantastic.

 i'm seriously relieved to hear it.

 so.

 um.

 why if my usb floppy drive is in (and successfully goes into /etc/fstab
 under /media/floppy) is it not actually mounted at the moment?

 oh, i see.... comments in block_class_device.c about an LS120 polling
 not working?

 hum, i imagine it'd be okay (if i can solve the /dev/sda -->
 /dev/floppy/0 problem) to just let KDE take care of it as
 access to "floppy:/"

 i'll let you know what i dream up there, it might involve some
 hacks to KDE's kioslave floppy device code (to cope with floppy:/sda
 or something) it might involve a script in /etc/hal/devices.d.

 l.