[Hwdb-devel] Re: [andrelop@debian.org: Re: Official support/certification by hardware vendors]

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette at free.fr
Sat Sep 18 11:52:16 PDT 2004

Roland Stigge a écrit :

>Hi,
>
>On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 00:51, Yo Funky wrote:
>

>>The Hardware Freedom DataBase aims to create just such a community-wide
>>hardware database.
>>

>[...]
>>

>What about the GNU Project's policy not to link to Debian, RedHat, SuSE,
>*BSD etc.? If this[1] doesn't change, working together with the HFDB is
>possibly no option for us.
>
>bye,
>  Roland
>
>[1] http://www.gnu.org/links/links.html:
>
>        "We do not have links to web sites of the well-known GNU/Linux
>        system distributions, or to the well-known BSD system
>        distributions, because all those sites explicitly describe, and
>        facilitate access to, various non-free programs."

I fully agree with Roland.
The aim of hfdb should be to provide
information to users about their
hardware support _with_ the distro
they use!

The above [1] excuse is simply void.
We are talking about GNU/Linux systems!

As I've previously stated, such an effort
should imply upstream projects, distros,
users, ...

Note that I've got to contact friends from
other distros which will not join this effort
is this situation doesn't change.

Arnaud
---
OpenSource Developer