hal 0.2.98 released

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Sep 20 10:14:47 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 12:50 -0400, Robert Love wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 18:46 +0200, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > Good question :-) My brain meant to write sync but my fingers did
> > something else. I just checked and it is indeed sync,noatime.
>
> OK.
>
> I don't jibe with sync, either, but at least that makes sense ;-)

Yeah. It's also a heuristic so not nice. I want to make this and other
policy stuff like mount point names configurable from two sources

 1. A configuration file for fstab-sync somewhere in /etc with simple
    and sweet rules much like udev (but perhaps in XML much like device
    information files)

 2. Properties on the hal device object itself, e.g. info.fstab.options
    and info.fstab.desired_mount_point. Or something.

Regarding 2., when we land the persistent hal device objects, it will be
easy, from a technical point of view, to build some UI for toggling e.g.
"Optimize for Quick Removal" or "Optimize for Performance" on a per-
drive or per-media setting. Which I think is useful. How that UI should
look is another question though :-)

David