KDE Volume Manager not receiving mount points from HAL - it can't cope!

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Sep 21 01:19:56 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-21 at 09:56 +0200, Jérôme Lodewyck wrote:
> Le Lundi 20 Septembre 2004 23:54, vous avez écrit :
> > On Mon, 2004-09-20 at 22:32 +0100, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> > > i'm messing with HAL hal-0.2.97+cvs20040907$  and with KVM and kde from
> > > latest cvs.
> > >
> > > the issue is that a usb floppy drive has a mount device of /dev/sda
> > > and a mount point generated in ftsab /media/floppy1 that isn't then
> > > passed over by HAL to KVM.
> > >
> > > KVM goes "oh, it's a floppy, and we don't know its mountpoint, hmmm"
> > > and generates a filename "floppy:/" for it.
>
> This floppy:/ url takes as argument the "drive letter" used by mtools. Would
> it be concievable for hal to scan the /etc/mtools.conf, pick up the drive
> letter and store it under some volume.drive_letter property ? Idealy, it
> could also create drive letters for each floppy drive in this mtools.conf
> file...

Sure. Much the same way that fstab-sync is a hal callout that maintains
the /etc/fstab file, the same can be done for the /etc/mtools.conf file.

If someone writes something like this, I would be happy to include the
code in the hal package although the property it sets should probably be
called storage.mtools.drive_letter and live on the hal device object
representing the drive, not the volume (just to be picky :-).

David