USB Media card - works at boot-up, removal works, re-insert doesn't

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Tue Sep 21 17:37:43 PDT 2004

*cackle* i had a word with phil (the nutter) hands and out of a random
conversation he said "why don't you use a userspace filesystem?" and i
went "duh, of course, yadayada".

... so i downloaded fuse, with the intention of writing a proxy
filesystem only to find that fuse/example/fusexmp is EXACTLY what
is needed.

haha!

due to the way that fusexmp works (it's a stateless proxy redirector)
the issue of umount on the proxied filesystems attempting to kick the
feet from out under a fusexmp-mounted filesystem just... doesn't happen!

okay, the plan:

* using fuse, remount partitions that the user is to be allowed to see:

	/media on /mnt/media
	/home/username on /Documents

* modify KVM (or more likely, HAL) to pseudo-"chroot" anything that goes
  into /media/[somedir] to make it look like it's on /mnt/media/[somedir]

the thing about the fusexmp example is that it doesn't _actually_ touch
the filesystem until access is requested.

e.g. the xmp_read function does an open(path, O_RDONLY), a pread(),
followed by a close().  likewise for write, getdir [consisting of an
opendir(), readdir() sequence and a closedir()]

i sincerely couldn't _give_ a stuff how inefficient that is: it cleanly
and clearly solves the problem [of usb media getting unplugged without
warning].

i note with interest that fuse has kernel-level "cacheing"
(fusermount -c).  obviously this would need to be disabled [the -c
option not used on a mount].

the only issue (for me) is.... fuse doesn't support xattrs, and i aim to
use this on an selinux system.

*sigh*.  a-hacking-i-will-go...