LABELs and automount

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Sat Sep 25 04:16:56 PDT 2004

david, hi,

um, just a quick question: what caveats can i expect if i use the label
from HAL e.g. my dvd's label ANALYZE_THAT or something?

should i do, oh, i dunno... /media/cdrw_dvdrw_ANALYZE_THAT - a
concatenation of the hint and the label, just to make sure?

and i would just... get that from the volume.label thing, yes?

i really like the label idea.  really what i need is a persistent
unique mount point (using the disk serial number, is that possible?)

a unique mount directory for each and every disk encountered
would make my life a lot easier (for DBFS.  yes, i'm using
DBFS v302 in KDE :)

DBFS is an indexing system that takes a record of all files in a
directory, and allows you to instantaneously search by name, date,
keyword or "mime group" e.g. "Documents" or "Music".

Truth, honesty and respect are rare commodities that all spring from
the same well: Love.  If you love yourself and everyone and everything
around you, funnily and coincidentally enough, life gets a lot better.