Apologies for the mess I created

Ikke eikke at eikke.com
Tue Sep 28 13:13:06 PDT 2004

Hi list member.

As you can see I messed up things in here. I did not intend to do this
(imagine), I just did something stupid which caused this (and other things, to
other people/mailing lists).

Let me explain. Last days I'm trying to centralize all my email accounts, so I
havent got to check 3 accounts or so every day. i'm doing this using getmail
and procmail, which works fine, on a big imap account.

Now this is what happened: I wanted to copy all existing messages I got on one
server to the new one. So I started evolution, and started to copy all mailing
list messages I ever received etc.
When this was done, I had to copy the last messages: my outbox.
I didnt know one thin tough: the imap server seems to be configured to send all
messages put into Outbox through sendmail. So thats what happened: I copied all
messages from one outbox (the 'old' server) to my outbox on the 'new' server,
which immediately started to sent all the messages (again, of course).

I did not notice this (that server is somewhere far away from here), untill
sjoerd mentioned this on IRC. Then I started to look around to find out what
happened, now this seems to be the cause. It means that *all* mails I *ever*
sent using that email account is sent again. Which, well, is quite embarassing.
I think the hal mailing list is, next to one other, the biggest 'victim', so I
guess it's appropriate to offer my aplogies.

Normally this won't happen again: I renamed my 'Outbox' folder, so the IMAP
server won't treat it special anymore.

With kind regards,

Ikke