Minutes from August 4 Release Wranglers call

Paul Anderson pma at anderson.fc.hp.com
Wed Aug 4 08:49:22 PDT 2004

Release wranglers,

The minutes from today's call:

Attendees
---------
Paul Anderson
Kevin Martin
Stuart Kreitman
Keith Packard

Updates
-------
Keith is working on the optimized version of his trapezoid code.
He's going to check-in an unoptimized version as a baseline and
work to getting the optimized version in before the release.

Naming of the release
---------------------
Kevin proposed X11R6.8.  We're not ready to move to X11R7,
since that has many other implications and there are a lot
of experimental features in this release.  But, there are
too many new things in this release to just call it X11R6.7.1.

Keith would like to move to placing libraries in /usr/lib
so that we don't have separate directories for R6...  At some
point, we should start preparing people to get rid of X11R6
subdirectories.  Are release notes sufficient, or do we need
more.

The current plan is to go with X11R6.8 for this release.
Kevin will bring it up at the next board meeting (hopefully
next week).

Bugzilla/Testing status
-----------------------
Kevin has noted about 185 bugs in bugzilla (as of last night).
That's not too bad, but he's unsure how much testing we're
getting in the community.

How do we get more testing on wider variety of platforms?  Kevin
said the release will get put upstream into Rawhide as soon
as possible to increase testing exposure.

Kevin asked if there is something similar with Debian.  Keith
noted that it could go into "Debian experimental," or someone
could put together an archive and make the archive available
on fd.o for people to download.

Kevin could use some help looking through the bugs open for
this release.  The main bug for this release is 351, and it
has a list of blockers associated with it.  Kevin will send
a list of these bugs out to xorg at freedesktop.org to get people
to look them over, share comments, etc.  Some of these are
build issues, getting new patches in, etc.  Kevin would like
to go through this list in future meetings (starting on Friday)
as we did with the last release.  Some blocker bugs may get
demoted if they are not true blockers.

We'll probably get the most testing exposure from the Linux
community, so making packages available earlier will give
people something to play with.

Stuart mentioned that we need to start thinking about release
notes.  Kevin said we shouldn't start writing too much
until the name is finalized, but someone should start gathering
information about what's changed, etc.

Requirements for Success criteria
---------------------------------
* Build requirements
  Build with variety of different options in host.def (BuildServerOnly, etc.)
  Kevin will come up with an initial list of these options

* Install requirements

* Tests to run
  Doing a complete coverage test is unreasonable - can't get every possible
  combination of operating system and graphics card won't happen.  It would
  be better to setup a limited number of run tests for key OS/architecture
  combinations.  Then, test two different graphics families on each of
  these, and run tests (VSW4, x11perf, quake, glxgears, etc.) accordingly
  on these combinations.  Kevin will put together a list of possible
  run tests and send it out via e-mail.

Next call:
Friday, August 6.  Same time.

-paul