Release wranglers notes 29 Sep 2004

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Fri Oct 1 08:51:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 07:48:17PM -0400, Kevin E Martin wrote:
> - there are social consequence of this decision. a release schedule that is
> autonomous isn't necesarily better. but in this case, kevin's scheduling
> depended on fedora. the release mgrs for gnome are sometimes comercial and
> sometimes not. this time several x.org members had a common need. we need to
> clarify what the developer and interested employer/vendor priorities are.
> [kem noted that] he was involved in xfree86 since 92 while in grad school,
> [and that based on his experience he felt that: if we are more proactive and
> set dates i think that vendors could schedule participation of their
> employees, and that [we should keep track of] vendor schedules, and know
> which are coming up.

For what it's worth:
  * Declaration of interest -- I work for Canonical Ltd, full-time on
    Ubuntu.
  * Ubuntu 4.10 (warty) is scheduled to go gold on October 20th, and we
    are anticipating our next release in April 2005, which will ship
    the SI[0].

[0]: Not quite in the same way as we 'ship 4.3'[1], but yeah.
[1]: 302,500 lines of patches, last I looked.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org