Xorg version number change

Egbert Eich eich at pdx.freedesktop.org
Mon Oct 11 02:55:19 PDT 2004

Roland Mainz writes:
 > Kristian Høgsberg wrote:
 > > This change doesn't look right.  The 6.8.1 release is on the
 > > XORG-6_8-branch, and that's where 6.8.2 will come from.  HEAD is going
 > > to be 6.9.0 or 7.0 or whatever gets decided.
 >         ^^^^^    ^^^
 >
 > Please NO. Please simply stop this version number inflation. Even for
 > the last release it wasn't really justified to bump the version number
 > to 6.8 where 6.7.1 was sufficient (AFAIK the only argument was the
 > introduction of the "Composite", "DAMAGE" etc. extensions).
 > IMO the next major release should be named X11R6.8.2 unless something
 > really really big changes (and if I recall it correctly X11R7 is
 > reserved for the autotooled tree right now).

It has been argeed upon that the x.x.y rleases with y > 1 are bugfix
and security update releases for the x.x.0 releases. That decisison
has been reflected in the branch sceme of the tree.
We need to be able to 'mark' a bugfix release to distinguish it from
the release it was based on. That was what the third number was
added for. It hasn't existed in the X.Org numbering sceme so far if
I recall correctly.

Egbert.