[SCIM] Re: From a newbie: problems in running scim

Mike FABIAN mfabian at suse.de
Wed Dec 29 15:07:02 PST 2004

"Rodolfo Medina" <romeomedina at libero.it> さんは書きました:

> Hi.
>
> I'm doing my first steps with scim, Linux Mandrake 9.1.
> My purpose is to input simplified and traditional chinese.
>
> After installing scim and scim-chinese,
> I created the file ~/.i18n and put in it the lines:
>
> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
> XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
> LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
>
> as suggested in the "Internationalization in Mandrakelinux 10.1" mini guide.
> Then I rebooted, did '$ scim', opened kwrite, did 'Ctrl space' and scim was
> activated.
> But when I open Konqueror I can't read the italian accented a (à) in the
> names of directories;

Probably you have used iso-8859-1 to encode the file names.
Convert all those file names to UTF-8 if you want to switch to an
UTF-8 locale. You can use convmv for that:

    http://j3e.de/linux/convmv/

> besides, some characters in man pages are messed up.

I don't know how that works in Mandrake. In SuSE Linux manpages work
fine in UTF-8, therefore I guess it will be OK in Mandrake as well.
Maybe you have inconsistent locale settings? I.e. maybe you have some
other locale variables set to non-UTF-8 locales?  What is the output
of the command "locale"?

> Can anyone please explain how to avoid these unwished effects?
> Are those lines in ~/.i18n proper?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Rodolfo

Mike FABIAN   <mfabian at suse.de>   http://www.suse.de/~mfabian