[SCIM] how to get scim to work with non-gtk apps

David david@plm11.pl
Wed Jan 5 17:33:36 PST 2005

>I realised that I can only get scim to work on gtk
>apps like firefox and gaim but not non-gtk apps like
>openoffice, kwrite, etc.  What steps do I need to take
>to make scim work with non-gtk apps?

Install scim-qtimm and skim.

Configure it. ENV vars:

XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_SWITCHER=imsw-multi
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
LANG=en_US.UTF-8

Make sure your LANG is listed in /etc/scim/global:

/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8

Configure it for KDE apps:

/DefaultConfigModule = kconfig
/DefaultPanelProgram = /usr/bin/scim-panel-kde

Refresh the list of modules (this helped my problems wit Open Office):

gtk-query-immodules-2.0 > /etc/gtk-2.0/gtk.immodules

It should start working.

Best regards,
David