[SCIM] Re: From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina@libero.it
Wed Jan 12 09:22:45 PST 2005

Yukiko Bando wrote:

>1. Firstly, update your system to get the latest version of Qt3.
>2. Select Italian as the language and Italy as the country (if you live
there,
>of course) and SCIM as the input method.  Unless you chose Unicode at the
>time of installation, I think LANGUAGE, LANG and LC_* in ~/.i18n will be
set
>to it_IT (alias for it_IT.ISO-8859-1).
>3. Since LC_CTYPE is not set to UTF-8, SCIM input methods don't work in Qt
>applications.  So, when you use SCIM in those apps, you need to do this:
>
>$ export LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 (or en_US.UTF-8)
>$ kwrite

Thanks!

your indications were very useful and now it is much better:
I got scim run and (I think) now I can input simplified and traditional
chinese
using kwrite (although, strangely, I cannot *read* chinese characters
when I open a file with kwrite).
That's what I did (Mandrake 10.1 Community):

1) # urpmi locales-it

2) I put in the file ~/.18n the following lines:

    LANGUAGE=it_IT:it
    GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
    LC_ADDRESS=it_IT
    LC_COLLATE=it_IT
    QT_IM_MODULE=scim
    LC_NAME=it_IT
    LC_NUMERIC=it_IT
    LC_MEASUREMENT=it_IT
    LC_TIME=it_IT
    LANG=it_IT
    LC_IDENTIFICATION=it_IT
    LC_MESSAGES=it_IT
    LC_CTYPE=it_IT
    LC_TELEPHONE=it_IT
    LC_MONETARY=it_IT
    XIM_PROGRAM="scim -d"
    LC_PAPER=it_IT
    XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

3) In the file /usr/local/etc/scim/global I changed the line

    /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8

   into

    /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_US.UTF-8,it_IT.UTF-8

4) I run scim with '$ scim' and, in another console, I did
   $ LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 kwrite
   . This way kwrite opened up.
   I did Ctrl-c and the scim toolbar appeared with smart pinyn.

I didn't follow your suggestion to update to the latest version of Qt3
because now my final purpose is to configure Emacs in order to use scim with
Emacs,
which is my favourite editor.
If I open Emacs the same way as kwrite: '$ LC_CTYPE=it_IT.UTF-8 emacs',
chinese characters are not input at all.
I was suggested to install the package mule-gbk and the font simsun.ttf:
but even so chinese characters are not properly input.
Please, any hint?
Does anybody know the necessary steps to configure Emacs in order to run
scim?

Thanks,
Rodolfo