[SCIM] Re: From a newbie: problems in running scim

Rodolfo Medina romeomedina@libero.it
Tue Jan 25 08:10:10 PST 2005

Mike FABIAN wrote:

>Then you probably add some glibc package.
>
>On SuSE Linux, *all* locales are in one big package "glibc-locale".
>Maybe Mandrake has split this in different packages which you can
>install separately.

I did `# urpmi locales-zh', and after the installation the item
`zh_CN.UTF-8'
appeared in the output of `$ locale -a' (it was absent before), and also
a new directory `zh_CN.UTF-8' was created in my `/usr/share/locale',
so I suppose the locale zh_CN.UTF-8 is now installed in my system.
Then I did `$ LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8 emacs', and this time the
warning message `locale not supported by C library' did not appear any more.
Then I activated scim with C-space
and this time the smart pinyn input method was there;
but when trying to input chinese characters I got chaos code instead:

中å½

. Strange, isn't it? Any hint?

Cheers,
Rodolfo