[Uim] uim-prime vs. anthy (also, possible help for uim-py)

Duncan Mak duncan at ximian.com
Thu Apr 1 11:59:55 EEST 2004

Hello,

I've been using UIM and Anthy to type Japanese with some friends, it
works fairly well. I updated to 0.3.3 recently and it's nice to see that
it doesn't crash evolution anymore (it was crashing the GUI ssh-askpass
as well). I also updated my anthy to the 5100 release.

I see some talk of uim-prime here. It doesn't work for me. What is the
difference between anthy vs. prime? Do I need to install anything else
to make it work? Right now, if I choose uim-prime, I just see blanks.

I'm a native Chinese speaker from Hong Kong and I speak both Mandarin
fluently. I can read traditional characters comfortably, though I'm not
as good with simplified characters. While I'm no pro when it comes to
typing Chinese, if any of you have questions regarding Chinese, send it
to the list, and I'll try my best to reply.

I saw the exchange earlier about expanding uim-py. I think the most
useful will be the addition of compound words to the dictionary (similar
to what Yukido-san said about 今天, 明天, etc)

Also, is there a plan for adding Big5 support to UIM? Being from Hong
Kong, I'd rather write traditonal characters than simplified ;-)

Thanks,

Duncan.