[UTF-8] Aspell and UTF-8/Unicode

Roozbeh Pournader roozbeh@gnu.org
Sun, 15 Feb 2004 21:22:05 +0330

On Sun, 2004-02-15 at 19:26, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
> First off, Aspell can only spell check languages which have an phonetic
> alphabet and words are visually easily to separate.
>
> Most all languages that can be spell checked fit inside an 8-bit character set.

Actually, I know people who are very interested in adding Persian
spellchecking support to aspell, but have stopped doing so because of a
lack of UTF-8 support. Persian is both phonetic and visually easy to
separate, but again lacks a standard character set.

> If you care to educate me on the specifics of a language does not fir in
> an 8-bit character set and how it can be spell checked I am all ears.

Please tell us what exactly what kind of information you expect. Almost
every language I know about in the parts of the word I live in, need
UTF-8 support, since no standard 8-bit character set exists for them:
Persian, Urdu, Pashto, Kurdish, Azerbaijani, Uzbek, Turkmen, Balochi,
... (of these some are also written in Latin or Cyrillic, but I'm
talking about the Arabic script version).

roozbeh