[UTF-8] Aspell and UTF-8/Unicode

Noah Levitt nlevitt@columbia.edu
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:16:40 -0500

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at  0:03:01 -0500, Kevin Atkinson wrote:

> The CVS version of Aspell can now check documents in UTF-8.

That’s wonderful!

> the encoding
> is not set based on the current locale.

Hmm, why not?

> I am considering a "dual-script" mode where Aspell can use a separate
> dictionary depending on which script it detects the current word in, the
> two dictionaries can have nothing in common, ie an English one and a
> Russian one for example.  This will NOT not support two languages that use
> the same script as that is a lot more complicated.  For example if the
> word is misspelled which dictionary should it use for the suggestions?

I probably don’t understand all the issues, but a simpler
approach springs to mind: why not simply use the union of
both dictionaries, and treat it as a single dictionary? That
way it could handle two or more languages written with the
same script. If a misspelled word is lexically similar to a
word in the English dictionary and a word in the Spanish
dictionary, it makes sense to me to offer both as
suggestions. And I think it would work fine for languages
using different scripts as well.

Noah