[utf-8] TeX (was: You better add Texinfo to your Bad Software list)

Janusz S. Bień jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Wed Mar 17 21:32:31 PST 2004

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004  Rainer Schöpf <rainer.schoepf at proteosys.com> wrote:

> Who remembers December 23, 1993, when the first public release of LaTeX2e
> appeared?
>
> The LaTeX3 Project Team wishes to announce the LaTeX 10th Anniversary
> Release, officially dated December 2003.
>
> It contains numerous changes, additions and improvements, some of which
> I'd like to mention:
>
>  - (Partial, experimental) support for Unicode input: the inputenc package
>    has a new option utf8.

I understand  that EncTeX

        http://trific.ath.cx/tex-mf/enctex/

which allow transparent UTF-8 processing will be included in the
future web2c distribution.

In the meantime you have also ucs.sty, a sample output is available as
`languages.ps' at

        ftp://ftp.icm.edu.pl/pub/CTAN/macros/latex2e/contrib/supported/unicode/languages.ps.gz

and any other CTAN mirror.

Regards

Janusz

--
                     ,
dr hab. Janusz S. Bien, prof. UW -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra Lingwistyki Formalnej)