[Xcb] xprint

Jamey Sharp jamey at minilop.net
Wed Jul 27 04:37:34 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 23:10 -0400, Jeremy A. Kolb wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jul 2005, Jamey Sharp wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-07-25 at 15:56 -0400, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> > > Jamey, the problem is that there's padding between lists in both requests and
> > > replies.  So we have...
> > >
> > > list of data
> > > padding
> > > list of data
> > >
> > > Is that okay as it's before the second list?
> >
> > I was trying to say that padding for natural alignment is inserted
> > before every list, yes.
>
> Hm.  So in the description for the list/pad/lists I can just leave out the
> pad tag and xcb will automagically take care of it for me? That doesn't
> sound right.  I'm probably misunderstanding you.

If you're misunderstanding me then I'm misunderstanding you too. I think
you're saying the right thing. :-)

The pad tag won't work in between list tags: it can only generate
padding in the fixed-length portion of requests and replies. XCB *must*
just figure out the right padding for you: we're not providing any other
way to specify it. If it turns out that XCB does it wrong, then we'll
have to think about what to do. That's happened once before, but we
fixed it. :-)

I've always wanted to get XCB to work out more of the padding
automatically, which isn't too awfully hard since we have the natural
alignment rule and can work out the sizes of all data types. Never got
around to it yet though.

> As for the STRING8 I had it in the client.xsd file but then decided to
> typedef it.  I will see if I can add it again as it's in a few specs.

Please do. I don't remember why I left it out; if it's hard for some
reason we should make it work.

I think the core protocol descriptions maybe don't precisely match the
protocol documentation in more ways than this: a detailed inspection
would be a good thing to do sometime.

--Jamey