[Xcb] char* in structs ;)

David Eger eger at havoc.gtf.org
Fri Jun 10 08:14:10 PDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 11:02:27AM -0400, Jeremy Kolb wrote:
> Quoting David Eger <eger at havoc.gtf.org>:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 11:19:33PM -0400, Jeremy A. Kolb wrote:
> > > Ok.  In XV there is an AttributeInfo struct, a list of which are returned
> > > from a reply.
> > >
> > > So it looks like we're going to need a way of
> > > returning a struct with a list in it of variable size.
> >
> > Man I need to finish this implementation of BLT ;-)
> >

> As far as I know we can't send or receive a struct *within* a request/reply
> that has a variable length field in it.
>
> Maybe I'm just confused though.  I usually am.

So for the X Extensions, the Core library doesn't parse the structure:
It leaves it to the particular extensions.  All the X core has to know
is the opcode (to choose which extension to hand the data to), and
the total length of the request.  The extension is free to pack data
any way it chooses after that...

-David