basedir spec

Jaap Karssenberg j.g.karssenberg at student.utwente.nl
Thu Sep 4 18:50:13 EEST 2003

On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 16:23:48 +0100 Geoff Youngs wrote:
: The only possible concern that I can think of is a scripting language
: binding that doesn't/can't tell the difference between an unset
: environment variable and a blank environment variable.

Languages that can't tell the difference between empty string and
undefined vars aren't worth using anyway ;)

: It might be safer to use a value such as "none" (or whatever), but
: change to specification to specify that only absolute pathnames should
: be considered valid within the XDG_* vars (which it might be worth
: doing anyway - unless the program is part of a ROX-style relocatable
: application directory, it probably shouldn't be looking for normal
: data in paths relative to the CWD.  And if it is part of a relocatable
: app dir, then it should probably be using APP_DIR, rather than XDG_*).

This would in turn make the implementation more difficult. And my test
script should do a lot more then it does now (like establishing CWD in a
platform independent way). I like to be able to set XDG_* to something
relative to CWD within some application - but thats an other discussion.

btw. who is the maintainer of the basedir spec ?

--
   )   (       Jaap Karssenberg || Pardus [Larus]
   :   :       http://pardus-larus.student.utwente.nl/~pardus