New standard proposal

Carlos Perelló Marín carlos at pemas.net
Fri Sep 26 13:46:34 EEST 2003

El vie, 26-09-2003 a las 10:25, Alexander Larsson escribió:
> On Fri, 2003-09-26 at 02:19, Carlos Perelló Marín wrote:
> > Hi people, I'm working on a system wide Volume Manager (something like
> > autorun and magicdev) and I want it as a shared technology between
> > GNOME/KDE/Other desktops.
> >
> > Here you have the initial draft:
> > http://carlos.pemas.net/projects/volume-management-spec/
> >
> > There you will see some initial things I have in my mind but they are
> > not definitive. I want something that all us could share so I need your
> > ideas/suggestions to improve it.
> >
> > I will use D-BUS as the IPC between the server and the clients
> > (Nautilus, Konqueror, etc...)
>
> Some random comments:
>
> /Volumes is totally non-standard and untypical of unix. Lots of people
> will not like it. (Not saying I dislike it, personally I don't care,
> because i don't expect to expose the mountpoint in the UI.)

I know, that's why I said that all things could be changed, I like it
but I suppose that we will ending with /mnt or /vol but that directory
is for applications that will not work directly with the daemon, it's a
way to let users find their volumes easily.

> Mounting things as the volume name seems quite bad to me. That means its
> hard to figure out what device is actually used for the volume, and if a
> user inserts an unknown disc it could be hard to figure out where it
> appears. (Again, i don't expect to show the mountpoint names as-is in
> the UI.)

Hmmm, The idea of volume name as mount point is a way to follow the
volume names in the desktop, when you insert a CD, Nautilus shows a
CDROM icon with the label as its name. If you connect an external hard
disk, it's easily detect it as its label instead of something like
/dev/sda1, also, the external drivers does not use always the same
device, just play with two USB storages and you will see it.

The idea with unknown discs is use a standard name, somethig like
"Unknown", or it's media type (cdrom0, cdrom1, usb1, usb2, etc..) if you
use always the same pattern name and document it, it's easy to find it.

> When someone wants to unmount I think we should send out a pre-unmount
> message so that people having e.g. fam monitors on the volume can
> release them, since they would otherwise block the unmount/eject.

Yes, good point :-P

But then, should we wait for applications replies?, as a confirmation
that they did release the volume? I suppose that we should, but with a
timeout and then just try to unmount it.

> Also, I agree with havoc that this should probably be done in the the
> context of the HAL.

I will do it, don't worry.

Cheers.