Migrating the specifications to git (xdg-specs repo)

Vincent Untz vuntz at gnome.org
Tue Feb 16 07:02:25 PST 2010

Le mardi 16 février 2010, à 14:52 +0000, Simon McVittie a écrit :
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 at 15:33:32 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
> > Right now, I just want to import all specs, each one with
> > its cvs history and in its subfolder.
>
> OOI, why not one spec per git repository?

I honestly don't remember why we decided this, but honestly, I don't see
the point of having 10 git repos, each containing one xml file.

> This seems to be the case for a
> significant number of the specs you mentioned already, and it's somewhat easier
> to merge two git repositories into one than to split a git repository
> (you can merge branches that have no history in common).

(You can split a directory in a new git repo with filter-branch)

> If you wanted to do one later, a multi-repository merge would look something
> like this:
>
> * have spec1.git, spec2.git each containing (say) README and specN.xml
> * in spec1.git:master, move all source into a spec1/ subdirectory
> * rename spec1.git to merged-specs.git
> * in spec2.git:master, move all source into a spec2/ subdirectory
> * fetch spec2.git:master into merged-specs.git as a temporary 'spec2' branch
> * merge the spec2 branch into master and delete the spec2 branch
> * repeat for more specifications

Doesn't this break the local repos of people who cloned the original
repository?

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.