Migrating the specifications to git (xdg-specs repo)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Feb 16 10:21:02 PST 2010

On February 16, 2010, Vincent Untz wrote:
> I learnt a few days ago that we finally have a xdg-specs git repo. So
> let's move forward :-)

great!

now, how do people get push access to it? trolling around on
http://www.freedesktop.org i couldn't find instructions on how to apply for an
account or who would qualify for it.

how long does it take to get an account set up?
who is responsible for making this happen? (and hopefully it's more than one
person)

this is the "gatekeeper problem (challenge?)" that motivated me to create the
git repo somewhere else other than freedesktop.org in the first place.

> This mail is about deciding which specifications we want to migrate to
> the xdg-specs git repository. It's not about which layout we'll use
> after that (Aaron worked on http://gitorious.org/xdg-specs/ which is an
> example of what we can do); this will be a second step in the
> discussion. Right now, I just want to import all specs, each one with
> its cvs history and in its subfolder. And then we'll be able to move
> files around the way we want.

sensible :)

> Will stay somewhere else, unless maintainers wants to move it to
> xdg-specs:
>   icon-naming-spec (xdg/default-icon-theme git repo)
>   icon-theme-spec (xdg/default-icon-theme git repo)
>   shared-mime-info-spec (xdg/shared-mime-info git repo)
>   startup-notification-spec (startup-notification git repo)

i really do think, however, that if something wants to be a fd.o approved spec
that "hosting it somewhere else" is not a valid option. imho, there is no
point in having specs we share without being able to share the actual
specification document.

> Will not be migrated because we have just a wiki page right now:
>   cursor (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/cursor-spec)
>   clipboard manager
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/clipboard-manager-spec)
> icc
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/OpenIcc/ICC_Profiles_in_X_Specification_0
> .3) MPRIS (http://wiki.xmms2.xmms.se/index.php/Media_Player_Interfaces)

we can catch these in a round 2 sweep.

> If there's any other spec that we want to import with some history
> (thumbnail, secret, visual notifications, trash, sound theme, sound
> naming), please send me a mail with the information on where to get the
> source and the history of the spec.

the visual notifications spec should be included imho because it is a shared
spec at this point. ditto for thumbnails. dfaure already covered trash; sound
names / theme and secret aren't, i don't think anyways?, widely employed yet
so aren't critical targets.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se