_DBUS_APPLICATION_ID, _DBUS_UNIQUE_NAME, and _DBUS_OBJECT_PATH

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Thu Dec 15 07:44:52 PST 2011

Hi,

In the GtkApplication/GNOME 3 integration work, we need effectively to
tie together the application and windows it creates with the menu
structure and actions exported over DBus by G(tk)Application.

Per Ryans' previous mail, an application ID is just a DBus name:
http://developer.gnome.org/gio/unstable/GApplication.html#g-application-id-is-valid
We have a patch for gtk+ to export this as a window property named
_DBUS_APPLICATION_ID.  This complements the existing WM_CLASS window
<-> .desktop file association.

Now we also need for non-unique applications to know the unique DBus
name (e.g. :1.14).  That's the _DBUS_UNIQUE_NAME property.

Finally, _DBUS_OBJECT_PATH is typically just a substitution . for /; in
practice we could just do this in various places, but it seems cleaner
to export it too.