_DBUS_APPLICATION_ID, _DBUS_UNIQUE_NAME, and _DBUS_OBJECT_PATH

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Fri Dec 16 08:42:10 PST 2011

On Friday, 16 de December de 2011 10.04.05, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
> > org.kde.kmail.mailcomposer
> > org.kde.kontact.KMail.Composer
> > org.kde.kontact.KXmlGuiWindow
> > org.kde.kontact.KMainWindow
> > com.trolltech.Qt.QMainWindow
> > com.trolltech.Qt.QWidget
> > org.kde.KMainWindow
>
> I'm late into the conversation, but this is very interesting stuff.
>
> In the past I've asked, "how can we have a toplevel window export a DBus
> object that can have several interfaces?".  We wanted that to do things
> like asking a window, "what are the URLs of documents you are showing?".
>
> So, can I just peek at _DBUS_UNIQUE_NAME and _DBUS_OBJECT_PATH, and see
> if that object has a certain interface?

When you say "can I just peek" and that "I" means you personally, yes. As a
human being and an engineer with a decent knowledge of software development,
you'll be able to guess the semantics of some of the methods and their
arguments based on their names alone.

But for that you don't strictly need the X window properties: the QWidget
interface above already exposes the winId, so you can map one to the other
manually.

If the "I" in "can I just peek" were a software, then you need a standard
interface, with standardised methods and behaviour so that one application can
communicate with another. That's what I am asking for: do we want to define
some interfaces?
      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358