libXft and libexpat.la

Samuli Suominen ssuominen at gentoo.org
Mon Dec 10 00:08:36 PST 2012

On 03/12/12 14:23, Rita wrote:
> I am trying to compile libXft 2.3.0 . The compile goes fine however when
> I do a make it complains about this.
>
> grep: /usr/lib64/libexpat.la <http://libexpat.la>: No such file or directory
>
> I have my expat-2.1.0 in a different location and I placed it in
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>
> I have also tried doing, LDGLAGS="-L/software/expat-2.1.0/lib"
> ./configure  and still it complains about this. Is there something else
> I need to do?
>
> TIA
>
> --

You don't need libexpat.la, you should grep your system's other *.la
files and remove any reference to libexpat.la, or replace them with
references of -lexpat so the linker (libtool in this case) will directly
link to the .so instead of trying to pull the info from the .la

Something like:

find /usr -name '*.la' -exec grep libexpat.la {} +

Then either delete the files it finds, or edit them as I suggested before

But yeah, definately wrong list, this question is more suitable for the
libtool mailing list, or perhaps your distribution's

- Samuli