[Xlibs] [announce] freedesktop.org xlibs 1.0

Eric Anholt eta@lclark.edu
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 03:28:14 -0800

On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 02:05, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi guys,
> It's my pleasure to announce our first xlibs release: appropriately
> versioned 1.0. The libraries we include are compositeext, damageext,
> fixesext, randrext, renderext, resourceext, libX11, libXau, libXaw,
> libXcomposite, libXcursor, libXdamage, libXdmcp, libXext, libXfixes,
> libXfont, libXft, libXi, libXmu, libXpm, libXrandr, libXrender, libXres,
> libXt, libXtrans, libXv, libICE, libSM, XExtensions, and last (but
> certainly not least): Xproto.
>
> Most of these libraries were sourced from XFree86 at some point in time,
> and are now actively being maintained by us: they all use autoconf as
> their build system, instead of imake, etc, etc. In short, they rock, and
> you want to use them!
>
> You can get them from http://freedesktop.org/~xlibs/release/xlibs-1.0;
> we don't have packages ready for any distribution yet[0], but they
> should be ready quite soon for most major distros. Watch
> http://xlibs.freedesktop.org for news on the distro packages front (but
> please disregard most of the rest of the outdated information there).
>
> Thanks to Keith Packard and Jim Gettys for doing most of the initial
> work and maintaining most of the modules here, Eric Anholt for doing
> last minute release help stuff, Jeremy Reed, and others who I've
> doubtless forgotten.
>
> Cheers!
> Daniel, off to start working on the fd.o platform
>
> [0]: Even Debian, to put the conspiracy theories to bed.
> [1]: ./build-xlibs /location/of/prefix
>      /opt/fdo is a good place to put it, as is /usr/local/fdo, or ~/fdo.
>      If you're behind a proxy, make sure your http_proxy environment
>      variable is set up appropriately first.
>
> (And Triple J are just rounding on number 1 in the Hottest 100 now -
>  kind of appropriate. Happy Australia Day-ish! Jet - Are You Gonna Be My
>  Girl, as it turns out.)

Apologies to any early early adopters from distros -- the libXaw tarball
was rerolled to get the manpage fix.  At this point all of the libraries
are in FreeBSD and work is beginning now to swap out XFree86 libraries
in favor of fd.o.  In the meantime they, along with a snapshot of
xcompmgr, can be installed from ports on top of an XFree86 installation
and give you a nice desktop environment if you have a linux box handy to
run the server.

--
Eric Anholt                                eta@lclark.edu
http://people.freebsd.org/~anholt/         anholt@FreeBSD.org