[Xorg] CVS HEAD -- ftfuncs.c:931: error: structure has nomembernamed `find_sbit_image'

Daniel Stone daniel at freedesktop.org
Wed Aug 4 04:05:00 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 12:42:40PM +0200, Egbert Eich wrote:
> So why are these headers installed, then?
>
> I think saying "well, these are not really ment to be public
> so we reserve the right to change them but application may still find
> them useful" calls for trouble.

That's why they have the 'INTERNAL' bit. If it breaks, you get to keep
both pieces.

Sort of like how X has _Xgetpwnam(). Debian and Red Hat both have
patches (the same patch) to change its arguments, and people bitched
about this. Our (Debian's) response to this was the same as mine to this
situation now: it's an internal API. You can use it if you really want
to, but the both pieces disclaimer applies.

> Appearantly there was a problem between 2.1.6 and 2.1.7 and there
> are indications that there also is a problem between 2.1.7 and 2.1.8.

Anything built with 2.1.6 would segfault when started with 2.1.7,
because the ABI was silently changed.

--
Daniel Stone                                            <daniel at freedesktop.org>
freedesktop.org: powering your desktop                http://www.freedesktop.org