[Xorg] Composite and ABI stability

Ian Romanick idr at us.ibm.com
Fri Aug 6 13:27:53 PDT 2004

Soeren Sandmann wrote:

> In bug 990, Eric Anholt reports that X server compiled with COMPOSITE
> produce wrong colors and suspects that this is cause alphaMask and
> alphaOffset in Visuals are not initialized.
>
> This is correct; modfiying the i830 driver to initialize those fields
> does make the problem go away. However, there is a bigger problem than
> that:

I ran into a similar problem a few months ago (probably closer to a year
ago now) with respect to GLX visuals on the client-side and on the
server-side.  My solution was to use a new structure, _GLcontextModes,
to represent the data.  The data provided by the driver in the old
structure was converted to the new structure by a device-independent layer.