using tinderbox (was Re: [Xorg] Debian/unstable tinderbox)

Jim Gettys Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Mon Aug 9 07:53:35 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 02:12, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2004, Bryce Harrington wrote:
>
> > > I may have overlooked it, but where is the quick
> > > how-to-get-started-with-tinderbox guide for Xorg?
> >
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/TinderboxWiki
>
> Thank you. (And thank you to Carl K.)
>
> I have had it running the "Test" for a few hours.
>
> The webpage says "Once you have found that your tinderbox is working, you
> can change the tree from 'Test' to 'XMonolithic' in run-client.sh"
>
> How do you know the tinderbox is working? How do I know when to change
> from "Test" to "XMonolithic"?

If your builds seem to be working OK; having builds fail
due to missing dependencies that should have been installed
isn't going to help developers know at a glance if their checkins
have broken something.  So basically, if you've managed
to get a green build to complete, you are set to go.

> I did look at the
> http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/tinderbox3/showbuilds.pl?tree=Test webpage
> but I don't have any idea what this means.
>
> Will it ("Test") stop? Or does it run forever?
>
> Also, the TinderboxWiki webpage says "Once a day ... the entire directory
> is deleted and the files checked out fresh".

Not currently, I don't believe.  I think it is just doing
a "cvs up -dP:, and a "make world"