[Xorg] ARGB visuals from Composite extension

Soeren Sandmann sandmann at daimi.au.dk
Thu Aug 12 16:46:23 PDT 2004

John McCutchan <ttb at tentacle.dhs.org> writes:

> Both of those are bugs in mozilla and flash.

The one about crashing is; they should figure out a way to agree on
the visual used. But I'm not sure about the other. A client faced with
a 32 bit visual with 8 bits of r, g and b is not required to do
anything special with the remaining 8 bits, right? So the X server
suddenly assuming they are alpha bits is not backwards compatible.

> I think this comes down to who is the leader? X.org or macromedia (could
> be any program/company)?
>
> Who sets the rules?

How do you propose an application predicts that previously unused bits
are suddenly going to be interpreted as something the application has
never even heard about?

Soren