[Xorg] Re: [GATOS]Getting GATOS branch created on Xorg

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 20 17:36:19 PDT 2004

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004, Jaymz Julian wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 03:12:05PM -0400, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>>

>> There is one more argument in favor of current implementation:
>>
>>    All-in-Wonder cards can be programmed to display video capture data as
>> it arrives in video RAM, without transferring to main memory via PCI bus.
>
> Hrm, doesn't the matrox marvel v4l driver do this as well? (except that it
> stopped playing nice with Xv post-Xfree4.1 sometime, but that's not
> uncommon for out of tree drivers, is it? :-p)

Well, GATOS plays nice with Xv - in fact it is based on it..

I looked at marvel.sf.net - am I right in thinking that their chip outputs
MJPEG directly ? In this case it would be quite different from AIW cards
which produce uncompressed YUV422.

Do you know whether Marvel cards need to use video RAM for transfer of
video data ?

                    best

                        Vladimir Dergachev