x.org and GTK+ 1.x progs

René Rebe rene at rocklinux-consulting.de
Mon Aug 30 16:01:48 PDT 2004

Hi,

Ralph Thomas wrote:
> Try:
>   setenv XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS 1
> or:
>   export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
>
> before running the program. I think GTK+ programs usually try to grab
> the "best" visual (and in this case it seems like it's not compatible
> with another visual the program decided to use somewhere...).

Yes.

However only some gtk+ applications are affected. XMMS works fine here,
But other ugly stuff like e.g. xzgv (some ugly image viever) does manage
to hard freeze my iBook (Radeon, PowerPC obviously). I'm currently
writing something important on the box so I'll try later if the
environment variable does prevent X to hard freeze the machine. I'll
also review if the same happens on my IA-32 box (and so is a generic
issue e.g. in the radeon driver?).

Have fun,
   René Rebe