x.org and GTK+ 1.x progs

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Tue Aug 31 12:57:55 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 19:01, René Rebe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Ralph Thomas wrote:
> > Try:
> >   setenv XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS 1
> > or:
> >   export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1
> >
> > before running the program. I think GTK+ programs usually try to grab
> > the "best" visual (and in this case it seems like it's not compatible
> > with another visual the program decided to use somewhere...).
>
> Yes.
>
> However only some gtk+ applications are affected. XMMS works fine here,
> But other ugly stuff like e.g. xzgv (some ugly image viever) does manage
> to hard freeze my iBook (Radeon, PowerPC obviously). I'm currently
> writing something important on the box so I'll try later if the
> environment variable does prevent X to hard freeze the machine. I'll
> also review if the same happens on my IA-32 box (and so is a generic
> issue e.g. in the radeon driver?).

If I had to guess, my guess is that it's probably applications that
either assume:

 - The system visual is the same as the GdkRGB visual (this breaks
   on dual 8bit/24bit systems, etc, but was a common GTK+-1.x
   programming mistake.)

 - The GdkRGB visual is the same as imlib's visual. (probably would
   work on most "normal" systems.)

Regards,
						Owen