X performance on mini-itx boards

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Tue Aug 31 14:30:24 PDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 16:43, Hamie wrote:
> What sort of performance on the VIA mini-itx boards can be expected with
> XOrg? Is there hardware acceleration available for these boards? WHat
> sort of fps can you get with glxgears at default size?

Currently, it sucks.  The "hardware acceleration" does not seem to
work.  I get the exact same framerate with glxgears regardless of
whether the via.o kernel module is installed:

408 frames in 7.0 seconds = 58.286 FPS
264 frames in 5.0 seconds = 52.800 FPS
264 frames in 5.0 seconds = 52.800 FPS
264 frames in 5.0 seconds = 52.800 FPS

The DRI is definitely enabled, I can see it in the logs.

This is on an EPIA M-6000.

I have been meaning to report this as a bug but have not had the
bandwidth.  I would imagine this is related to why the via DRI module is
still not in the mainstream kernel, but has to be installed from xorg
CVS.

Lee