Radeon 9600 (Mobile) with second DVI.

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Sun Dec 12 22:31:20 PST 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:21:14 -0500, John Muir <john at jmuir.com> wrote:
> I've got a Dell Insprion 8600 with a radeon 9600 (M10).
>
> I also have the "Port Replicator", or "Dock" which has on it a DVI port.
>
> So, I bought myself a nice apple display to go with it that runs the
> same resolution (1920x1200) as the laptop display. It works nicely with
> Windows.
>
> I have modified the Xorg server as provided by redhat in Fedora Core 3
> so that it "detects" the core mode-information for the display, and
> creates the "MergedFB" with the right data, since the original code
> wouldn't detect it correctly.
>
> Regardless, external DVI output doesn't seem to be used, not matter what
> I do.
>
> Has anyone else been working with this?
>
> Is there anything I should try? There were patches posted last week, but
> they seemed relevant to power macs.
>
> I have attached my Xorg.0.log.
>
> ..John

It kind of depends how Dell wired it up.  Are they using the internal
TMDS transmitter or an external one to control the the DVI port?  As
it is now the driver assumes the second crtc will always use external
TMDS.  Internal TMDS is always tied to crtc1.  At some point we really
out to separate the controller handling from the output controls since
theoretically either controller can drive any output.  Anyway, if it's
using external TMDS, it should work with monitorlayout "LVDS, TMDS"
(which it looks like you've tried); if it's using internal TMDS,
you'll need to rework the driver to use crtc2 with internal TMDS.

Alex