ChangeLogging commits to CVS

Vladimir Dergachev volodya at mindspring.com
Tue Dec 14 13:37:21 PST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 15 o'clock on Dec 14, Vladimir Dergachev wrote:
>
>> Is it feasible to require our own version of CVS ? I might give a try at
>> modifying it to suit what we need...
>
> That way lies insanity.  We've used custom versions of CVS at points in
> the past to deal with RCS tags with custom names ($XConsortium, etc alia),
> and it's a huge problem as people have to get CVS downloaded and compiled
> and make sure they never use the wrong version.
>
> Replacing CVS is a far better option at this point, but we're not
> ready to jump ship yet.

I see.

I was thinking more in terms of having our own server-side cvs code.
All the information that we need is already available from the client - we
just need to make use of it.

An alternative solution is to have a separate ChangeLog for each committer and
having them merged with outside script. This should allow automatic update
of ChangeLog without the the issue of simultaneous commits.

                       best

                         Vladimir Dergachev