trident XP4m32

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 06:14:32 PST 2004

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 14:46:33 +0100, Mathieu Lacage
<mathieu_lacage at myrealbox.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> I ended up recently with a nice new shiny laptop which, alas, contains
> what appears to be a rather crappy video chip, a trident XP4m32 rev 91
> (pci id: 1023:2100). While I was really happy to get a working 2D X
> driver from the very start, I got a bit disappointed by the perceived 2D
> performance of the running X server. Opaque window moves and window
> scrolling appear really slow: this led me to get the trident driver
> source code from the Xorg CVS HEAD server and go through it. It looks
> like there is no kind of 2D acceleration for the XP4 chips so I wonder
> what needs to be done to get this working. Is there anything I can do ?
> I would be happy to try to hack on the code if I could be given a few
> hints on what needs to be done and maybe pointers to useful information.
>
> Of course, this lead me to have a look at 3D acceleration and it looks
> like this is also completely non-existant. I get about 210FPS with
> glxgears (on a 1.1 GHz pentium M) so I guess this means that it is a
> software rendering fallback. Is there any work in the area of hardware-
> accelerated 3D rendering for trident cards ? Any kind of information I
> could use to get started ?

the xp4m32 is actually XGI, not trident (trident and sis graphics
merged a while back).  I believe they use trident's pci ids.  XGI has
binary only X drivers on it's web site:
http://www.xgitech.com/sd/sd_download.asp
they also have an open source kernel FB driver.

Alex