Matrox MGA G550 AGP, dualhead with 2 CRTs, monitor frequency issue

fyzik fyzik at amu.cz
Fri Dec 31 14:38:01 PST 2004

Dear X-Org Developers,

I am using Gentoo Linux. The following issue happens with xorg-x11 from
version 6.7.99 until the recent - 6.8.1.901.
I have a Matrox MGA G550 AGP with two CTR monitors AOC Spectrum 7Glr.

The bug concerns the frequency setting on the second monitor.
Upon start, the 1st monitor is set correctly to 1280x1024 at H-80kHz and
V-75Hz.
The second monitor is set out of limits specified in XF86Config, even
though both the monitor sections in the config file (and the monitors
themselves) are identical.

If I play with the setting in the config, there are some changes in the
monitor setting upon restart, however they only roughly correspond to
what I've set in the config file (i.e. I specify 75 kHz , it still runs
at 82, I set max 65 and it runs at 60kHz).

When I download the binary driver for Linux from http://matrox.com and
replace it, both the monitors behave as set in the config file, but
the monitors are swapped with respect to the xorg driver.

Hope it helps with the development :)

and thank you guys for developing the X

happy new year
0ndrej