[Xorg] OT:oddity in Mesa-6.0.1

Brian Paul brian.paul at tungstengraphics.com
Sat Jul 3 08:36:25 PDT 2004

Gene Heskett wrote:
> Greetings;  Off topic, but the brains are here :)
>
> XFree86-4.3 system on linux-2.6.7-mm3, rh8 updated to fedora Core 1
>
> Nvidia GForce2 MX200 card, 32 megs, using the 'nv' driver.
>
> I just installed (I think) the MesaLibs-6-0-1, and MesaDemos-6.0.1
> tarballs with the cli command line of "make linux-x86" after
> unpacking both archives into the same dir.

OK, so that build's the software renderer (no hardware acceleration).

> There doesn't appear to
> be a seperate "make install" directive that I could find, the docs
> are obviously wwaaaayyyyyyy out of date.

The Mesa Compilation/Install page (on the website and in the distro)
explains how/where to install the headers and libs.  Which docs are
you looking at?

> Restarted X after the build.
>
> Old installed Mesa was:
> [root at coyote root]# glxinfo
> name of display: :0.0
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> display: :0  screen: 0
> direct rendering: No
> server glx vendor string: SGI
> server glx version string: 1.2
> server glx extensions:
>     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
> client glx vendor string: SGI
> client glx version string: 1.2
> client glx extensions:
>     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
> GLX extensions:
>     GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context
> OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
> OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
> OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4
> OpenGL extensions:
>     GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp,
>     GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_env_add,
>     GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3,
>     GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_blend_color,
>     GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract,
> GL_EXT_texture_env_add,
>     GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3,
>     GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias
> glu version: 1.3
> glu extensions:
>     GLU_EXT_nurbs_tessellator, GLU_EXT_object_space_tess

This indicates that you're using the stock XFree86/Xorg libGL (not the
Mesa libGL you built above) and that you're using indirect rendering
(no hardware acceleration).

> And gives a table of data I didn't paste.
>
> The reloading of X apparently used the older versions because the data
> returned from glxinfo is exactly the same as before.  And glxgears,
> at its default small window size, toddles along at around 170fps,
> dropping to 30 or so if I bring it up to 1/4 screen on a 1600x1200x32
> bit screen.  Within tolerances, thats also exactly as before.
>
> Is there a need to rerun ldconfig, or adjust something in my
> XF86Config?  It currently has (and no errors are shown in the log)
>
> Section "Module"
>         # Load  "record"        # X event recorder
>         # You only need the following two modules if you do not use
> xfs.
>         # Load  "freetype"       # TrueType font handler
>         # Load  "type1"         # Adobe Type 1 font handler
>         Load  "dbe"             # Double-buffering
>         Load  "GLcore"          # OpenGL support
>         Load  "dri"             # Direct rendering infrastructure
>         Load  "glx"             # OpenGL X protocol interface
>         Load  "extmod"          # Misc. required extensions
>         Load  "v4l"             # Video4Linux
> EndSection
>
> Any hints will be much appreciated as tuxracer doesn't run,
> complaining:
>
> Humm, I'll be dipped, now it does, but extremely slow, mouse motions
> are delayed several seconds on screen.  Obviously no acceleration.
> But the music works and I was eventually able to find the quit button
> with the mouse.
>
> Is there any hope here, short of installing the latest nvidia-6106
> drivers?

If you have an NVIDIA card and want hardware OpenGL, you have no
choice but to install NVIDIA's driver package.  You'll have to update
your XF86Config file (if the driver installation doesn't do it
automatically) to disable DRI (at least).

-Brian