[Xorg] More on mesa/NVIDIA

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat Jul 3 14:21:47 PDT 2004

Greetings;  Off topic, but this is where the brains live.

I've done the nvidia 6106 install, including the mods to XF86Config,
and its running, but not very fast at all, as in glxgears could run
170-180fps using the kernels nv driver.

Using the nvidia 6106 drivers, glxgears top out at a rather leasurely
90fps maximum.  Huh?

The screen looks about the same, but was shifted to the left about an
inch, and whereas tuxracer ran at glacial speeds before, it now
crashes, trashing the screen slightly, but the music continues until
I hit the hardware reset button.  A full fsck of this system takes
around 30 minutes, rather like watching varnish dry.  Big drive.
Boreing...

At one point in my overgrown nvidia printout it says to make sure that
GLX, NV-GLX, and NVIDIA-GLX extensions are present, something about
using 'xdpyinfo' or some such utility I cannot 'locate', nor is it in
the unpacked today 6106 tree.  Does anyone know where that utility
can be obtained from?

Looking at the X log, GLX and NV-GLX are accounted for, but NVIDIA-GLX
didn't answer the roll call.

Further down the page it says I should check /var/log/messages for
NVRM prefixed lines, but thats a no-hitter too.

I still have agpgart in the kernel, and the XF86Config tells nvidia to
use anything it can find with the option '3', so that should be good.
However I can modularize that too if needed.

Going down thru appendix C, the first thing I run into is there seems
to be no /usr/X11R6/lib/libglx.so.*, its totally on the missing list.
Where can I find it?

But I do have the pair of /usr/X11R6/lib/libXvMNVIDIA* things it asks
about next.
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o - check
1.0.6106 - check, as is the link from the .so
/usr/lib/libGL* is all present and properly version named
/usr/lib/libGLcore is all there.

The kernel module is there and running or I wouldn't be typeing this
in kmail.

Also, while I was adding the "alias char-major-195-* nvidia" line in
my /etc/modprobe.conf, I found, clear at the bottom of it, this line,
note the missing dash:

alias char-major-195* nvidia

and which I commented out.

So, it appears I'm missing some stuff noted above
in /usr/x11R6/lib/modules/extensions.  What did I miss checking so
far?

--
Cheers, Gene
There are 4 boxes to be used in defense of liberty.