[Xorg] The big multiconsole nasty

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Jul 4 10:24:27 PDT 2004

Around 13 o'clock on Jul 4, Egbert Eich wrote:

> Right. That's what is ultimately going to happen.
> I'm thinking about starting a project for that. I just need to get
> a few pieces together. A lot of code is presently in the Xserver that
> can be used as a model for the functionalities needed.

Cool.  There are lots of people with a minor interest in having this
happen, but no-one currently motivated to actually start writing the code.

My idea is that by providing a standard API we could let people who want
to do this kind of thing in the kernel do just that while leaving those
devices which need user-mode code to prepare video modes with access to
that capability.

Hooking this up to the existing Linux hotplug system would grant even
kernel fbdev drivers access to this logic.

-keith