[Xorg] Pixmap 24/32 on dual videocard system

Nils Breunese breun at xs4all.nl
Mon Jul 5 15:00:55 PDT 2004

Thomas Winischhofer wrote:

>>> The SiS 6326 does not support 32 bpp (32 bit framebuffer depth).
>>
>> Apparently, but the nvidia driver also doesn't seem to support 24. Just a
>> bad combination of videocards then?
>
> I find it strange that you encounter this problem at all. Are you trying
> to run "Xinerama" or the "normal" kind of dual-head where each screen
> gets an X session of its own?
>
> If the latter, I would think that the pixmap depth should not matter at
> all; the screens are entirely independent. With Xinerama, however, the
> screens must be in sync wrt color depth, framebuffer depth and some
> other criteria.
>
> Please let me know if my current driver fixes your problem.

I haven't had the time to try your driver yet, but I would like to
respond to the statement above. I currently have a 'normal' kind of
dual-head setup (as can be seen from the xorg.conf I attached to my
original post). If the pixmap should not matter at all, then how should
I set it up? Can I specify a separate pixmap depth for each card/driver?
Now it's just a server-wide flag I'm setting.

Thanks,

Nils.
--
"I got a funny feeling they got plastic in the afterlife" - Beck